Thursday, June 23, 2011

Catalog Decor Hack

A couple months ago when trolling one of my favorite Goodwill stores I found three of these frames for $8.99 each!  (Cheesy print, huh? I'm guessing from a daycare center or something.)


That's a little bit more than I'd usually like to pay for Goodwill frames, but these are heavy, well-made custom frames, each measuring about 19"x23" with professional mounting hardware and those great chunky mats.  (Oh my gosh, people, have you shopped custom-cut mats lately? Wowzer!  Pricey.)  And, did I mention there were three of them?! 

At the time I was thinking I'd use them in my daughter's room, and I could just picture them spray painted a smooth silver, kind of like the ones used in our inspiration room by the amazing Centsational Girl.  I stalk {ahem} heart Centsational Girl. 

Anyway, then I realized that the only wall big enough to house all three would be taken up by the headboard I wanted to make her (haven't gotten to that yet), and on most of the other walls we had decided to try a magnetic primer so she could put up maybe a poster or assorted memorabilia... yada, yada.  Long story longer, we didn't need them in the Pea's room.

Not long after, I saw these in the Home Decorator's Collection catalog:



The graphic prints kinda caught my eye and I remember thinking I could achieve much the same look with framed wallpaper samples. 

Then one day while shopping for fabric for a chair cushion at Joann's (more on that project to come), I came across these discontinued fabric samples on clearance for $2 each!  And as luck would have it, I absolutely fell in love with two coordinating patterns in just the right colors for my home office make-over!  Ack!  Jesus loves me.  He really does.






All at once I knew just what to do with those frames!  I rushed home and spray painted two of them with Krylon Premium in Sterling Silver which I'd found at Hobby Lobby.  (You can also get it on Amazon here: Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paints - Sterling Silver, 8 oz)  It turned out much more shiny than I had expected, but I've actually really taken to it!  Am I crazy?  Is it just a pride-in-my-crafty-creation thing, or does it actually work?



Anyway, next I spray painted the picture mats in my go-to Heirloom White.  A few days later when everything was fully dry, I ironed out the fabric samples, positioned them inside the mats to show the best selection of the patterns, and this is what I ended up with!


Not such a great picture, but what do you think?  Hubs says there is too much mat and that we should cut out a bit of the inside in order to show more of the fabric.  Also, I'm considering repainting the mats in a smooth, complimentary shade of blue.  I want to live with them for a while first and see how I feel.  I'm weird that way. Sometimes it takes several days... weeks even for me to figure out if I like something.  At this point, though, I think they are gonna look great over the new bookshelf I'm building for the office!  Yay! 

And the best part is that these babies only cost me about $15 each to make!  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment